'Hindi Prachar Sabha’ was a movement that emerged
as part of Freedom Movement and the leaders who led the
nation to ‘FREE INDIA’ felt the necessity
of making a single Indian Language the National Language,and
through that language unify the people and thereby intensify
1927 saw the emergence of Dakshina Bharat Hindi Prachar
Sabha as an independent organization and Mahatma Gandhi
was its President till he breathed his fast.
Gandhiji desired that the ‘Hindi Prachar ‘
in the south should be carried on by involving the local
people of the respective area. Till 1920, this Sabha had
its office at George Town in Madras and offer some years
shifted to Mylapore and from thereafter to Triplicane
where it functioned till 1936.
Provisional Branches were established in 1936 to intensify
the movement and the same year saw the sabha moving into
the New town,Thyagaraya Nagar, in Madras on a sprawling
5 acre land. The foundation for the building was laid
by Janab Abdul Hameed Khan and the building was declared
open on 7th October, 1936 by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru who
was the President of Indian National Congress.
Preliminary Examinations were being held regularly from
1922. The first degree level examination ‘Rashtrabasha
Visharad’ was conducted and convocation held which
was addressed by Kaka kalelkar in 1931. The Sabha celebrated
its Silver jubilee in the year 1946 after the second world
war and Gandhiji presided over the celebrations.
To commemorate his presence during the silver Jubilee
celebrations in the sabha and mark that historic occasion
it was decided to build a Gandhi Mantap at the spot where
Mahatmaji made his presence felt. Accordingly, a Mantap
was built and it was inaugurated on June 1963 by Sri Morarji
A landmark in the recent history of the Sabha was the
establishment of the National Hindi research Library built
at a cost of rupees eighty five lakhswith financial assistance
from the Government of India. Another important landmark
is the building of ‘Mahatma Gandhi Convocation Hall’
(Mahatma Gandhi padavidan Mantap) exclusively for the
use of holding the annual convocation and other functions
of the sabha.
In 1993 the president of the Sabha and then Prime Minister
of India Hon. Sri P.V. Narasimha Rao inaugurated the Amritotsav
“Platinum Jubilee” celebrations at his residence
on March 1993 at New delhi.